An infrequently updated dumping ground for one culture junkie's thoughts on film and whatever else

Friday, February 27, 2009

An Observation

Just returned from James Gray's Two Lovers, which I loved. But while watching Joaquin Phoenix's performance I couldn't help but notice that, in addition to his usual internalized roiling, Joaquin was affecting a slurred speech pattern which, combined with his character's troubled psyche and unpredictable behavior, kept reminding me of none other than Dr. Steve Brule. Some cursory googling indicates that I am the first person to make this observation. For your health!


I might post more substantive thoughts about the movie later, if I feel like it. For now, suffice to say that if James Gray didn't exist it would be necessary to create him—I loved his underrated, beautiful crime drama We Own the Night, and this, despite some basic implausibilities in the concept that are easy enough to get past, is perhaps even better.

2 comments:

  1. haha wait really? this was good? the trailers couldn't really make it look more awful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man haven't you learned not to trust trailers? Although you're right, this one did make the movie look like an opera-filled stinker, but nope--'tis the best new movie I've seen since The Wrestler. James Gray is hella legit, even when swinging from gritty crime dramas to a romantic drama about a bipolar dude. Unless you're the vapid women sitting behind me who thought it was "boring."

    ReplyDelete